Thursday, September 1, 2011

Accountant has tax repayment, but is negligent in returning to IR or myself, how can I recover it?

Accountant has tax repayment, but is negligent in returning to IR or myself, how can I recover it?
My (now) former accountant is withholding money that is due back to the Inland Revenue on my tax statement. This is money that was issued as repayment initially but now after an amended return needs to be repaid. He was acting has my tax agent at the time and this repayment went directly to him. He has made half-hearted response in emails stating that he will make the payment son but nearly 23 months have passed, so he has for all practical purposes ignored requests to forward the money directly to the Inland Revenue or to myself so that I can pay them. What are my options for help in recovering this money? Thanks for the replies. To clarify,yes, the accountant has already been paid in full. How woudl I find out what professional association he is affiliated with? Thanks for the replies. To clarify,yes, the accountant has already been paid in full. How woudl I find out what professional association he is affiliated with?
United Kingdom - 3 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Small claims court - the forms are online.
Answer 2 :
Report him to his professional association.
Answer 3 :
Having come across similar situations professionally, I have to ask if you owe your accountant any money for his services? Accountants like to get your repayment because they are then sure of getting paid. Revenue staff think this is a sneaky way for accountants to behave, but it does happen. If it is the case, any repayment made to accountant will be kept by him as long as repayment wasn't in excess of his bill, Taking him to small claims court, or reporting him to his professional body wouldn't be upheld in those circumstances, and you will have to find the money to repay HMRC yourself. If this isn't the case, I hope you have kept the e-mails, or at least copies, so that they can support any further action you take, whether small claims court, or reporting him to his professional body.

Read more other entries :