Saturday, April 14, 2012

Can I refuse to pay my accountant?

Can I refuse to pay my accountant?
i have been charged for lots of things that my accountants have done for me - but they have never indicated to us that there would be a charge - for example my accountant sent me an excel spreadsheet to use as he thought it would help keep track of business. today i recieve a bill for £420.00!. Am i within my rights to refuse to pay as at no time did he tell me there was a fee. If he had I would have refused it. Too make it worse his spreadsheet was not as good in my opinion as the one I was using that I downloaded from the internet for free!
Other - Taxes - 7 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
What does your contract with them state? Did you sign anything when you first went to them? Did you not ask if there was a fee?
Answer 2 :
UK? You could. Check the contract. It may be a case of them using misleading information. If the spreadsheet was not fit for it's purpose, then you may have a claim under the supply of goods and services act. You need to write a letter of complaint to the accountant as soon as possible. Be prepared to write three letters, if you don't get a satisfactory response to your complaint. Trading standards may be able to shed some light on this for you. Just as an afterthought, I don't know if the financial ombudsmen might be able to help you. Check their website below.
Answer 3 :
I wouldn't try it, any way surely you realise that accountants don't work for nothing
Answer 4 :
They did a service for you, you have to pay them. Of course, you could refuse, but they could sue you for fees, and they would win. As long as they weren't negligent in their work for you, the accountants did nothing wrong, regardless of the outcome. If you want to punish them for their bad work, just switch accountants. How could you not know they were going to bill you?
Answer 5 :
Dear (Accountant), I am "returning" the Excel spreadsheet. I have deleted all copies from my computer. First, I am not using it. I found that the one I was already using met my needs. I looked at it because you recommened it to me. Second, I was not aware that you were planning to bill me for it. Frankly, it's not as good as the ones available on the internet for free and had I known you were planning to bill me for it--let alone 420GPB-- I would have declined immediately. ...
Answer 6 :
If you asked for the spreadsheet, you have to pay. If he just gave you the spreadsheet out of the blue (i.e.: unsolicited), you don't have to pay. He can NOT force you to use his product, and if you refuse to use his product, you are not required to pay for it. Either e-mail him, or call him, and advise that you have no intention of paying for unasked-for and unused product. You evaluated the product, and deleted it as inferior to product you had already obtained. If he insists on being paid for work not requested, or inappropriate software or hardware "suggestions" fire him. I know one store owner here who knuckled under when his accountant told him flat-out to NOT do cash-backs, because HE doesn't like them, and that he would charge extra to process them! I suggested to the owner that he can the guy and hire a new accountant! Good Luck
Answer 7 :
I don't think accountants and solicitors have to give you schedule of charges when you employ them. although you should have am agreement of service. Are they Chartered Accountants, or members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants. If they are I am sure they qwill be acting in accordance with the regulations. If they are not then I would query it. £420 sounds a lot for a spread sheet!

Read more other entries :