Thursday, November 1, 2012

I WANT TO BE AN ACCOUNTANT.. ADVICE PLEASE?

I WANT TO BE AN ACCOUNTANT.. ADVICE PLEASE?
Okay so.. I was a typical teenager in school, messed about in lessons, hung round with the guys. I didnt realise how important school was until I left. My GCSEs were what woke me up. I got english language, english literature, art and design = C and I got a B in media. then maths french geography and science I got E. I went to college thinking i'd learn to pursue a career in journalism but soon found that it wasnt for me. I left and got a job as a receptionist, but it was only a temporary position. My mum works in finance and I was really interested in her CAT book that she studied a few years back. So I signed up with BPP and im studying CAT Level 1, Paper 1. Im finding it so interesting and my mum thinks I have a great understanding of it, she was suprised. I'd love to pursue a career in finance, hopeing to one day be an accountant or be high up in the finance business. Im studying CAT and when I pass all those exams (I will make sure I do, no matter how many times I try) I go on to study ACCA's? My mums friend done all this in a couple of years.. and they are in their 40's. If I started this now, hopefully I can make up for the time I wasted in school - because I actually know what I want to do in life. So whilst im sending out my CV and applying for banks, im going to study this in my own time. Is there any information you could tell me? Any advice? Thank you very much :)
Other - Careers & Employment - 4 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
i think all you nid in accountant is be good at math
Answer 2 :
My advice is not to do it. Who would want to be an accountant? I am studying to be a journalist and I LOVE IT! You should too!
Answer 3 :
Good for you for being able to determine what you really like to do and then having the guts to go after it! There are many types of accountants, and they do all sorts of different things. Some work primarily on taxes. Others are auditors -- they go into a company and make sure all the financial data is in good order and the company isn't trying to be sneaky. Some accountants work inside a company and help make financial decisions, keep track of accounts, and pay bills. And some accountants work for the government. You can do a Google search to find out what types of things accountants get involved in, or you can contact an accounting firm and tell them that you are interested in a career in accounting and ask if they have someone who could talk to you. Accountants also have organizations that like to have students join at a reduced rate -- that's a good way to make contacts and get to know people who may help you get a job later on when you have completed your schooling. And sometimes, they need interns to work while they are learning. I say go for it! Best wishes for great success. Susan Fleming
Answer 4 :
Good for you, go for it and good luck. To get that job and to help you in your studies I would definately say to try and get a job in the finance department or accountancy department. Maybe your mum could help you. Even some work experience would help or you could work as a Finance Assistant without an accountancy qualification and it really would help you study (I have friends who are at various stages with their ACA or ACCA or Management Accountancy qualifications). It is hard work but a good job, although competitive and you have to show that you are the best - the work experience, job shadowing or job in finance would really help you. Best of luck.

Read more other entries :