Thursday, June 14, 2012

Should I pay my accountant after they did a such a poor job?

Should I pay my accountant after they did a such a poor job?
I have just been invoiced for nearly £450 by my accountant for work they claim to have done, I have offered to pay them £200 in final payment with a list of my grievences but it has been rejected. Here are my issues with them: A lack of communication, very slow replies to emails and answer-phone messages, sometimes weeks and after repeated attempts. Lack of financial advice when changes were made in the way I was being paid. Admission that they had forgotten to do my tax returns which ended up in a £100 fine. (admittedly they paid this) but not until I had debt collection threats Did not do my annual returns and still hasn't done so. I am willing to pay something but by law can I pay what I feel the service was worth, or could this end in them taking me to the small claims court. Scott
Law & Legal - 3 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
You have to pay them as they and yourself would have signed a contract but if you where unhappy with there performance you would have to fire or talk about to them about the situation.
Answer 2 :
You can refuse to pay and they would have to take action via the small claims procedure in the county court to pursue this. You are always expected to pay for what you have received. Therefore, your suggestion of £200 seems like a good compromise. Send them a cheque with a letter stating that it is in full and final settlement of the matter. If they refuse to accept it then you need to decide if you can face going through the legal procedure. You should defend yourself as you will not be able to recover solicitors costs even if you win the case. That said, neither will they, costs are limited to £50 in the small claims. If you lose the case you will have to pay about £100 - £150 on top of the amount claimed so it might be worthwhile taking the risk.
Answer 3 :
you have to pay so your question doesn't matter

Read more other entries :