Wednesday, October 5, 2011

An accountant provided an estimate for tax returns for £500 final invoice has come to £1129?

An accountant provided an estimate for tax returns for £500 final invoice has come to £1129?
I got a quote from an ICAEW member accountant who quoted maximum of £500 to do tax return works, the final bill had come to £855.40 the invoice was settled, months down the line I have received an additional invoice relating to the tax work making a total of £1129. I was not at any point made by the firm aware that it would almost double I paid the £855 in order to maintain relations, but this has now come to the point where I don't know what the final invoice will be I have contacted the firm but they are not interested in reasoning the additional costs. Please help any ideas where i stand with the law? I have contacted ICAEW and hope that they can assist but in the past it seems they favour their members who keep their boat afloat.
United Kingdom - 3 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
just pay it and find a new accountant if this one can't be trusted, if you don't agree with the additional work they have charged you for then write to them and explain you won't be paying it as they can't justify the work.
Answer 2 :
This is one of the reasons why my firm operates a fixed fee policy so both of us know exactly where we stand. It is, regrettably not uncommon with firms that charge on an hourly basis. You may have some luck with the ICAEW - one of my clients took his previous accountants to the Institute and won some redress - if your case is clear the Institute can be helpful. ICAEW member firms are, strangely, the ones my firm tends to have the most problems with for some reason. Shouldn't be the case but it is. (I only employ members of the other accountancy bodies for that reason).
Answer 3 :
The quote of £500 was ex VAT, the figure of £855.40 is £728 plus VAT, not a huge difference. Query the additional charge. If they won't explain why there is a further charge tell them to sue you for the balance and explain that you will ask them to justify the fee, in detail, in court.

Read more other entries :