Monday, January 7, 2013

What do I take to the accountant?

What do I take to the accountant?
I'm a newly registered self-employed actress and I'm taking my receipts to an accountant on Monday. I can't speak to him atm as it's the weekend and I'm trying to sort through my receipts to take to him. I'm putting all of my receipts in a book in date order, I'm also putting in all of the paying in slips (from my pay cheque's being cashed into my bank) from the only acting job I've done so far (i.e. the only job falling under the self-employment category) Is there anything else I need to give him? Also, will I need to give him my NIN?
United Kingdom - 5 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
If he's any good, he will advise you of the things you can claim against. Other than that, it's best to take too much, than too little.
Answer 2 :
All that sounds enough to me. Next year, you might want to consider doing yourself, online. Its really easy, and works it all out for you. The main thing an accountant does is fills out the form and makes sure you are claiming every thing you can against your tax. And that will generally cost you about £200 of your hard earned cash.
Answer 3 :
Basically you will need to take anything to do with your self employment working i.e. receipts from money spent and details of all money received. If you are unsure - just take everything you have and your accountant will tell you if they need to keep it or not.
Answer 4 :
If you think you need it "TAKE IT" your p60 from last year may help, also any payslips from any time you have been employed other than Self employed, Bank statements current,savings,deposit, building society saving accounts, pass book, etc.all and any receipt you may have, and ask about allowances related to your profession i.e. Make up,clothing, travel,accommodation etc, and most important "Be honest" Don't forget "you are paying the accountant so don't be shy "ask if you don't understand, before answering any questions.Hope this helps, Les P
Answer 5 :
Giving him receipts and paying in slips is a start, but the law requires you to maintain proper records of all your transactions, so you must keep proper records. (Fines levied on those who don't!) Whether he keeps these or you keep them, if he's preparing books or accounts: He will require: Bank Statements Paying in books, cheque book stubs. Copies of invoices issued. Agent's invoices/VAT receipts. All VAT records (if registered) Receipts for all expenditure. Details of assets purchased or used, if not apparent from prime records. As you're newly registered I assume you haven't completed your first year, so you're probably giving him records so he can keep proper books on your behalf.

Read more other entries :