Saturday, July 7, 2012

Considering becoming a chartered accountant after college?

Considering becoming a chartered accountant after college?
I am currently 14, in year 10 at secondary school. I plan on going to college, where I'll take accounting, and perhaps maths (but, I'm not entirely sure I want to be an accountant, so I want to keep my options pretty open at this point with psychology and law also) and I understand that once one has an A level in accounting, he or she can then, without going on to university to get a degree, find a work placement straight away and work for them (they'll train you et cetera) ... so I was wondering, is this a better idea than going further on, onto university to get a degree? Is a degree necessary or even a hindrance? I don't understand why one would go to university to study it and get a degree, when it's not needed and also, that person would end up in debt paying off the uni. tuition fees once they finally started working? Surely this would not be appealing to accountancy firms? So my question is; Why would one go to university to further study accounting and get a degree, when it's not necessary for charted accountancy? Is it if they're planning on doing a different type of accounting? Thank you
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Not sure how it all works in Britain, but a degree is never a bad thing.
Answer 2 :
You need a degree to be a chartered accountant and not just one degree because when you have your degree there is lot more you have to study as it is not just about accountancy. Being a chartered accountant means you are working in companies with more that 250 staff, you could be working with Company mergers, Forensic accounting, IT accounting, Business accounts, Public Practice, FTSE and many other areas which takes years of training and more degrees once you have done your first degree and became a member of the institute if chartered accountants.

Read more other entries :