Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Getting information from an Accountant !?

Getting information from an Accountant !?
Please I need your help, I have applied for my permanent residence with the Home Office and they need proof that my ex-husband was paying taxes. He was a cab driver , so he had an accountant that filed his taxes annually. My ex has refused to provide me with his paylips. PLEASE!! does anyone know how I can get this information from his accountant legally? I would be very grateful if anyone could help. thanks
Other - Taxes - 3 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
His accountant cannot release this information to you without your ex's permission. However, he can release his tax reference number to the Home Office and they can obtain the information they want from HMRC.
Answer 2 :
The tax authorities can write to your ex-husband's accountant to compel him to submit to it his client's tax particulars.
Answer 3 :
No, it is likely accountant will be acting on the instructions of his client (your ex-husband, who pays him) and he would not release the information without ex-husband's consent. If your ex won't give you the information, it is unlikely his accountant will. Did you obtain any financial evidence by order of the court for your divorce hearing? I think that may be the way to go. I don't know what powers the Home Office have to get the info. It is a different Government department, and I would guess no powers. A solicitor would advise you as to the legal aspect of getting a court order on this. NB. From your post, it sounds as though your husband was self-employed. The employed don't file taxes annually. So there wouldn't be any payslips to show you. What you need is a copy of his self-employed accounts.