Tuesday, February 14, 2012

can an accountant legally withold all my self assesment document from me?

can an accountant legally withold all my self assesment document from me?
been bit slack with my self assesment over last few years. phoned up an accountant too sort them out for me. she took all my paperwork then told me before she could carry on i needed to chase up lots of missing vouchers etc. i then lost my job and her fees were too high so i asked her for everything back. She then invoiced me for a silly amount and refuses to give everything back unless i pay. am now out of work and cannot afford her fees but am still amount tax penalties as not been sub mitted!! where do i stand!
Other - Taxes - 2 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
You should be paying about £300. If it's much m,ore than that you should have got a quote first. She can hold until you pay.
Answer 2 :
She's entitled to charge you her professional fees for work already undertaken, and can and will withhold the paperwork until you pay. The only way to force her to give it back is to sue and hope you're successful, I'm afraid.

Read more other entries :