Saturday, May 28, 2011

pissed off accountant?

pissed off accountant?
i have worked in accountancy practice for 8 years and have gained AAT and 75% of ACCA during this time on top of A levels. I started on £80 a week and while my mates were earning much more doing manual jobs I kept telling myself that one day I would be earning a fortune. this however seems to be untrue as all this experience later I am still on crap pay and at 26 am still working my nuts off to pass exams when most people i know stopped doing exams when they were 16! job searches for people like me reveal that pay elsewhere isnt much better and qualified accountants dont earn megabucks. if i could go back i never would have become an accountant knowing what i do now. just wondering if any other "student" accountants feel like this?
United Kingdom - 4 Answers
People Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Oh yes, I quitted accountancy about three years ago.Payment was s**t .Now I have another job which has nothing to do with it,and earn more money,have less problems and don´t need to study anymore.Up to you!
Answer 2 :
Good evening, firstly there is no need to swear really, a proffessional accountant wouldnt be. From what I know about this occupation it does earn high income, however it does depend on what type you are. Chartered tend to earn more, people are seeking for people who can use Sage and the other leading finance systems. You should contact some local accountacy firms and ask about any vacancies available, and more importantly the salaries. Then, Step 2, if you get a higher wage, tell your current employer and they should either offer to pay the same, or more. It is a good idea to not concentrate on one or two particular companies, but to actually try up to five.
Answer 3 :
Until i became a parent I worked 12 years in accountancy...unqaulified....and i was paid loads. Reason for the good pay was (i think)because i managed to get into a local private practice....is that something you should consider?
Answer 4 :
An accountancy qualification and relevant experience can be a passport to higher jobs. For example you could eventually become the chief finance officer of a major corporation, then you would be earning megabucks. I once knew a young accountant who had worked for the civil service. He joined a small company as an accountant and soon became its finance director. He then left to become the managing director of a larger company. A very ambitious young man who knew what he wanted and went after it.

Read more other entries :